Just a few days ago (02 May 2014), the watch's firmware gets updated into version 2.0.7, and with this update, some of my previously observed drawbacks and must-have features were addressed such as the "power-off" option that will greatly save your battery specially for off-seasons (if you do follow an off-season) and a more useful lap information browsing on the exercise log.
|Give it some time to rest!|
|Firmware update via the Moveslink 2 applet|
One more thing that amazes me is the Ambit 2S' capability in measuring your SWOLF (swimming golf) or swimming efficiency. Although I haven't tested it yet thoroughly in outdoor swimming, it was a great information tool for me on my indoor swim trainings. Not just the SWOLF but it can also track your swimming style and number of strokes on a given pool length.
|Measure every move you make!|
From movescount.com, there's also the AppZone where you can choose from many ready or custom-made apps that can be uploaded/integrated on your device to aid you with your goals and/or trainings such as the interval trainer. If you're a geek and want to tweak or create your own apps for your own use or for public consumption, you may do so from the App Designer. Here you can create apps from the very simple to the most complicated one that you can think and that your device can handle, of course! I have previously created a simple "Night mode" app just for me to test and get a feel of the App Designer. I've integrated that app to my runs so that the watch's backlight will automatically turn-on in the evening when I'm running.
|Do more aside from tracking your moves|
- Weighs just 73-grams, only 15.41-mm thick, and 49.89-mm wide (excluding the buttons).
- When GPS signal is already locked, GPS signal is re-locked in less than 5-secs after turning the GPS on and off
- GPS automatically switches-off when an exercise is stopped
- Average GPS search-time is 30-seconds to 1.5 minutes on initial GPS locking.
- Exercise is automatically saved when exercise is stopped.
- Watch settings are loaded in movescount.com
- Battery lasts from 8-hours (when GPS fix/recording-rate is 1-sec) up to 50-hours (when GPS fix/recording rate is 60-sec).
- Up to eight (8) customizable screen displays per exercise.
- Can simultaneously navigate a planned route while recording your exercise/move (running, biking, etc.).
- Availability of firmware releases which gives regular updates and improvements to your device.
- Availability and speedy feedback of online Suunto support for any issues (my own ticket was replied back and addressed in less than 24-hrs).
- You can add/edit/delete or create your own sports mode via movescount.com.
- Route map in movescount.com is color-coded by the current pace or heart rate when the HRM strap is used.
|Navigating the waters of Masbate to Pio Duran via a Ro-Ro ship|
|Create your own sports mode and use it in your Suunto Ambit watch|
- With the availability of customizable screen displays, comes the limitation of available lines per screen which is only up to three (3) lines. This was supplemented though with up to three (3) scrollable data on the 3rd line.
- The latest map update on the website made the zooming-in of the route very limited to only a farther distance.
- Personal data, date, and time is reset back when the watch's battery is drained or manually turned-off via the service menu.
- Distance markers on the route map is no longer displayed after the route is saved via Route Planner in movescount.com.
- No graphical presentation of the route elevation from the Route Planner in movescount.com.
No battery limit/margin while the GPS is running which causes the battery to totally drain(addressed in the v2.0.9 firmware update, GPS/move auto-saves and stop at 2% battery level). GPS recording rate can only be switched to either off, every intervals of 1-second (best GPS accuracy for 8-hrs battery life) or 60-seconds (25-hrs battery life).I hope there's an option for lower time intervals like between 3- to 30-seconds for better battery saving while maintaining the GPS recording accuracy (addressed in the v1.5.14 firmware update, additional GPS recording rate of 3-seconds which gives good accuracy and 12-hrs battery life.) Some features (like the autolap, height, age, gender) can only be configured in the Customization section of movescount.com(addressed in the v2.0.7 firmware update, personal settings may already be configured from the watch.)
- The built and quality of the strap gives injustice to the great features of this watch because in just sixteen (16) months, my Ambit 2S' strap has already gave up (see photo below). The other downside is the replacement (not original) strap costs too much at Php 3,500++, so until now I'm still saving up for this perhaps, much lower quality strap.
Essential and Cool Features
- Navigation - one of my favorite tool in tracking an unknown territory or route that greatly helps in finding my way from Point A to Point B as plotted at the route planner of movescount.com without getting lost.
- POI (Points of Interest) - sometimes when you're out running and so focused, you might miss some great landmarks or pit-stops along the way. POI can remind you when you're already approaching one as you have defined while planning your route.
- Routes - planned routes may be uploaded to your watch and use it in your next exercise/move -- another one of the best feature.
|Choose a recording interval and GPS accuracy to meet your battery need|
- Stopwatch and Countdown timers
- Workout logbook
- Recovery time (now also available per workout/move)
- Hundreds of available apps from movescount.com that can aid you in your goals and trainings.
|Graphite Heart rate monitor and strap|
|Use the Ambit 2S for your indoor workouts...|
|and also in all your outdoor adventures! (photo by Orland Beltran)|
Follow me at movescount.com
*Update: Suunto just recently launched the new addition to the Ambit, the Suunto Ambit 2R - the GPS for Runners. Read the Press Release to know more about this new addition to the Ambit family.