Last Saturday (17 March 2012) was a privileged day for me and other runner-bloggers who got to be invited for the test run of Salomon XTrail Pilipinas happening in less than 12 days on the 31st of March, 2012. The race will be staged afoot at one of the most scenic places and inviting views of the Country, Tagaytay Highlands and Midlands Resort - the same venue where the Nathan Ridge run was held last November.
Unlike during our Nathan Ridge test run, the weather that greeted us at Tagaytay Highlands was much warmer. The fogs were absent with only a short breeze of air passing us by.
As of briefing time, all the slots in each distance categories for the upcoming Salomon XTrail Pilipinas run was already filled-up overhead to its target limit of 800, totaling to 1,000 registered participants. The categories that were first closed were the 6km beginner-friendly and 24km distance for the hardcore. To date, the 24km is the toughest and first ever longest trail distance that will be staged in Tagaytay Highlands.
Like the previous Nathan Ridge run which is also under the belt of Primer Group of Companies such as Salomon, this will be a green event that will ditch out the use of plastic and disposable cups or bottles. So all the participants are encouraged to bring their own hydration packs or bottles. Nathan handheld bottles were offered to participants as an option in the registration sheet at a 50% discount rate.
- Shuttle bus will be provided to all participants at R.O.X in BGC at 2:00AM;
- Race starts at 5:30AM at the Ampitheater of Tagaytay Midlands;
- Cut-off time from the gun-start is four (4) hours. The cut-off is meant only for the start of the program and not to sweep-off the runners who are still on the course;
- And as this is a trail run, self-sufficiency is expected as there are only seven (7) hydration stations that can be set-up along the course.
- The 24km distance is called "mountain run" and will have a number of elevation changes.
- Click on the link to know more about the technical details of the race route
- The Philippine Skyrunning Association (or PhilSky, formerly known as PSA) will be holding a trail running clinic and race course preview on Wednesday, 21 March 2012, at R.O.X in BGC, 7PM to 9PM.
|Treading the road towards the trails|
|Carefully desending the first part of the trail|
|If there's a descend, there's also an ascent|
|Trail testing my Diadora Mythos Samurai 3|
|Your own hydration bottle - eco-friendly|
|Our guide is blazing fast and strong|
|The weeds with bladed seeds|
|One of the many scenic views along the route|
|Stopping by at a secluded residential area|
|That's our guide, running along the coconut farm|
|Here's what you'll get running on trails|
|More of those sticking-sharp I dunno if it's seeds|
|It sticks and bruises even your bare skin|
More photos may be found at my Facebook album.
Once again, let Tagaytay Highlands bring you closer to nature while its challenge pumps your lungs, heart, and burn your legs out!